20 Years in New Zealand
This weekend we celebrate our twentieth anniversary in the amazingly beautiful country we call home. Aotearoa (the land of the long white cloud) is actually two very different unique islands. Things that you may already know about New Zealand, if you live in other parts of the world are:
- The All Blacks (world champion rugby team)
- Sir Peter Jackson – The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were filmed here.
- Taika Waititi the director of the latest Thor movie is from New Zealand.
- Our national bird is the Kiwi.
- We have more sheep than people living here.
- Sir Edmund Hillary was the first person to climb Everest.
- New Zealand was the first country to give women the vote.
- We have some of the most pristine scenery in the world.
Our journey thus far
Twenty years ago my hubby, Wayne and I arrived from South Africa with 10 boxes, 2 suit cases and $100 in our pocket. We were all set to live here for a couple of years and then move back to South Africa. We loved it so much that that we haven’t even back to South Africa for a holiday. Wayne and I fell in love with the relaxed kiwi lifestyle, magnificent countryside, and the freeing personal security. We have been able to both achieve tertiary educations, buy our own home and raise three amazing daughters in a safe, beautiful country brimming with possibilities. We have so much to be grateful for, especially to my husband’s parents for being the first brave risk takers in our family, who spearheaded the move for all of us.
The new leg of our journey
It seems very fitting that the exact day that we celebrate 20 years in New Zealand, we settle the sale of our house in Auckland and are commencing the first steps towards our new exciting journey in Northland. I am confident that just as we took the gamble 20 years ago to make New Zealand our home, our next move is going to be a positive one too. I am excited to take you all on this next leg with us.
2018 is going to be an amazing year that I can’t wait to discover. Bring it on!